Combine the spiced warmth of our Chai tea with French toast and you have a winning brunch or weekend breakfast recipe perfect for sharing with family and friends.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
- 4 Chai tea bags
- 1 cup (250 mL) 2% milk
- 4 -eggs
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) honey or maple syrup (approximately)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 8 - slices whole wheat bread, 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil (or any oil of your choice)
- Fresh fruit
- Cut open 2 tea bags and sprinkle the contents into a shallow bowl. Place the other 2 whole tea bags in the same bowl.
- Microwave the milk, on high, for 90 seconds or until scalding. Pour into the bowl.
- Steep for 5 minutes. Discard whole tea bags.
- Whisk in the eggs, honey, vanilla, and salt.
- Set a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Brush lightly with some of the oil.
- Working in batches, soak the bread in the milk mixture for about 10-15 seconds per side and transfer to the skillet.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes per side or until golden. (Keep the prepared French toast in a warm oven between batches).
- Serve with fresh fruit and additional honey to taste.
- This recipe is a great way to use up day-old bread as it’ll soak up more of the egg mixture, making the French toast even more flavourful.
- Try infusing the milk with other delicious Tetley teas such as Warmth Cinnamon Spice or Rooibos Vanilla.
- Reduce the fat content of this recipe by using 5 egg whites instead of 4 whole eggs and spraying the pan with non-stick spray instead of brushing with oil.
- Microwave 1/2 cup (125 mL) honey or maple syrup with 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon on high until heated through. Stir until well combined. Drizzle over toast before serving.
Per serving (1 piece): 208 calories, 6 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 95 mg cholesterol, 342 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrates, 3 g fibre, 14 g sugars, 9 g protein. Good source of vitamin D and calcium.