Made with our Pure Green Tea, this quick and comforting chicken soup is the perfect comfort meal.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) parboiled long grain brown rice
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 4 oz (125 g) shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 2 small carrots, peeled and sliced into coins
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced ginger
- 4 cups (1 L) water
- 4 cups (1 L) no salt added chicken broth
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bruised
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 cup (250 mL) shelled edamame
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 8 Pure Green Tea tea bags
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) Chinese five spice
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) thinly sliced green onion
- Prepare the rice according to package directions. Keep warm.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan set over medium-high heat. Sauté mushrooms, carrots, and ginger for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add water, chicken broth and lemongrass; bring to a boil. Stir in the chicken, edamame, and salt. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until chicken is heated through.
- Remove from heat. Add tea bags, lemon juice and Chinese five spice. Steep, covered, for 5 minutes. Remove tea bags and lemongrass. Divide warm rice among 4 soup bowls. Ladle soup over top. Garnish with green onion.
- Chinese five spice is a fragrant blend of star anise, cloves, cinnamon, Sichuan pepper, and fennel seeds. It can be substituted with a pinch of allspice or curry powder.
- To bruise the lemongrass, trim off the base of the stalk and the spiky tops, then crush stalk with the back of a knife. This will help release the aromatic oils for best flavour. Lemongrass will keep in the fridge for up to 10 days.
- Use leftover chicken or a rotisserie chicken from the deli.
Per serving: 230 calories, 5.5 g fat, 35 mg cholesterol, 756 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrates, 2.5 g fibre, 1.5 g sugar, 22 g protein.