The goodness of green tea can be found in more than just your cup. Serve this tasty appetizer at your next cocktail party.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Total time: 10 minutes
- 3 Pure Green tea bags
- 2 tsp (10 ml) lemongrass paste
- 1 piece (1-inch/2.5 cm) fresh ginger, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 8 Szechuan or black peppercorns
- 1 lb (500 g) large shrimp (31 to 40 count), peeled with tails intact
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) Thai sweet chili sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) lime juice
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) honey
- 1 tsp (5 mL) finely grated lime zest
- 1 tsp (5 mL) minced fresh ginger
- Combine 3 cups (750 mL) water, tea bags, lemon grass, ginger, garlic, and peppercorns in a medium skillet set over medium heat.
- Bring to a gentle boil. Remove the tea bags and reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer.
- Add the shrimp and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes or until no longer opaque.
- Remove the shrimp to a paper towel lined plate.
- Reserve 2 tbsp (30 mL) poaching liquid.
- Whisk the reserved poaching liquid with the chili sauce, lime juice, honey, lime zest and ginger.
- Serve the shrimp with the dipping sauce on the side.
- Lemon grass paste can be found in the refrigerated herb section at the grocery store.
- For added flavour, substitute our Pure Green tea with our Honey Lemon Ginseng Green tea.
- Serve the shrimp as an appetizer or double the sauce and toss with rice noodles and thinly sliced celery, red peppers, and carrots for a quick Asian inspired noodle salad.
Per serving (about 6 shrimp with sauce): 44 calories, 0 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 45 mg cholesterol, 86 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrates, 0 g fibre, 5 g sugars, 5 g protein.