Infused with Tetley’s aromatic 100% Steamed Green Tea with Lemon instead of water, this delicious new twist on rice makes a versatile side dish.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
- 2 1/4 cups (550 mL) water
- 6 100% Steamed Green Tea with Lemon tea bags
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 carrot finely chopped
- 1 rib celery finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) finely chopped red pepper
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 1/4 cup (300 mL) parboiled long grain white rice
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chopped fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground pepper and pinch ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) frozen peas thawed
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) raisins
- Pour the water into a saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Add the tea bags and remove from heat.
- Steep, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Carefully squeeze the tea bags to release as much liquid as possible. Discard.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large saucepan set over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrot, celery, red pepper, and garlic.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
- Add rice, thyme, bay leaf, salt, pepper, and nutmeg; cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes or until rice is well coated.
- Stir in tea and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cook, covered, for 15 minutes or until all the water has evaporated and rice is tender.
- Add peas.
- Remove from heat.
- Cover and let it stand for 5 minutes.
- Fluff rice with fork.
- Gently stir in parsley, almonds, and raisins.
- For a golden-coloured rice pilaf, add a little ground turmeric when cooking the rice.
- This recipe can also be prepared using our Pure Green tea.
Per serving: 229 calories, 6.5 g fat, 10 mg cholesterol, 121 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrates, 3.5 g fibre, 7 g sugar, 5 g protein.