Tea and scones - is there anything better? Try these chocolate mint scones for a special treat at tea time.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
- 4 Pure Peppermint tea bags
- 1 3/4 cups (425 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped dark chocolate (70%)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) buttermilk (approximately)
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) coarse granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Remove tea leaves from bag; whisk with flour, granulated sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Using pastry cutter or two knives, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs with a few pea-size pieces remaining.
- Stir in chocolate.
- Whisk buttermilk with egg.
- Using fork, stir into flour mixture to make ragged dough. Transfer to well-floured work surface and shape into 8-inch (20 cm) round.
- Cut into 8 wedges.
- Place wedges 2 inches (5 cm) apart on prepared baking sheet. Brush tops with additional buttermilk and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until firm and flaky.