Traditional southwest flavours are deepened in this beef brisket by using our Orange Pekoe tea as the braising liquid.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 3 hours & 30 min
Total time: 4 hours
- 2 Orange Pekoe tea bags
- 3 cups (750 mL) boiling water
- 3 lb (1.5 kg) beef brisket
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground cumin
- 2 tsp (10 mL) smoked paprika
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground coriander
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) tomato paste
- 1 - chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
- 2 tsp (10 mL) adobo sauce
- 2 cups (500 mL) beef broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) tomato passata
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) brown sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Steep tea bags in boiling water for 3-4 minutes; remove bags and set aside.
- Rub brisket with cumin, paprika, coriander, salt, and pepper.
- In Dutch oven, heat half of the oil over medium-high heat. Sear brisket for 8-10 minutes or until browned all over.
- Transfer to plate.
- Add remaining oil to Dutch oven. Sauté onions and garlic for 4-6 minutes or until softened.
- Add tomato paste, chipotle pepper and adobo sauce. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add broth and reserved tea. Bring to boil. Stir in tomato passata, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and vinegar.
- Return brisket to Dutch oven.
- Cover and roast in oven for 3 to 3 1/2 hours or until fork tender.
- Transfer brisket to cutting board. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Slice across the grain and serve with sauce.