Pork and Rice Lettuce Wraps
We’ve infused pork and rice with tea to add flavour and goodness to this light Asian favourite. Perfect as an appetizer or a main dish.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
- 1 Lemon Green Tea tea bag
- 2 100% Steamed Green Tea with Ginger tea bags
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) long-grain rice
- 1/2 tsp (1 mL) salt, divided
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1/2 lb (250 g) lean ground pork
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) diced onion
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) diced carrot
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 tsp (10 mL) soy sauce
- 1 tsp (10 mL) sesame oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cornstarch
- Pinch hot pepper flakes
- 12 large Boston lettuce leaves
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped toasted peanuts
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- Steep Steamed Green Lemon Tea bag in 1/2 cup (125 mL) boiling water for 3 minutes. Remove tea bag and let cool. Set aside.
- In saucepan, bring 1 cup (250 mL) water to boil over medium-high heat. Remove from heat. Steep Steamed Green Ginger Tea bags for 3 minutes. Remove tea bags and discard. Return saucepan to heat; add rice and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for about 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Fluff with fork.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet set over medium-high heat; sauté pork, onion, carrot, garlic, ginger, and remaining salt for 5-6 minutes.
- Whisk together reserved tea, soy sauce, sesame oil, cornstarch, and hot pepper flakes. Stir into pork mixture and bring to boil; cook for 3-5 minutes or until thickened.
- Place 2 tbsp (30 mL) rice and 1 heaping tbsp (15 mL) pork mixture on each lettuce leaf. Garnish with green onions, peanuts, and cilantro.