Dress up your holiday table with these spiced carrots. The fragrant Rooibos Tea adds a unique flavour that complements the carrot’s natural sweetness.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
- 3 Rooibos Tea tea bags
- 1 cup (250 mL) boiling water
- 2 lb carrots
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) each honey and lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) sea salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon and pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley or mint (optional)
- Steep the tea bags in the boiling water for 5 minutes. Squeeze and discard.
- Peel the carrots (if desired) and slice 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick. You can also leave carrots whole.
- Combine the carrots, tea, honey, lemon juice, oil, ginger, salt, cinnamon, and pepper in a large non-stick skillet.
- Cover and set over medium-high heat.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Boil gently, covered, for 8 minutes.
- Uncover and simmer, stirring often, for 3-5 minutes or until carrots are tender and glazed.
- Garnish with parsley (optional).
- Rooibos tea adds flavour without the salt found in broths. You can control the sodium content of this dish by adjusting the added salt as desired.
- Try this recipe with other fragrant Tetley teas such as Chai or Warmth Cinnamon Spice teas.
- Omit the ginger if preferred.
- For a preparation shortcut, substitute 2 lb (1 kg) baby carrots for regular carrots. Adjust the cooking time to your preferred doneness, adding a little extra water as needed.
Per serving (about 1/2 cup/125 mL): 59 calories, 2 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 266 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrates, 2 g fibre, 7 g sugars, 1 g protein. Excellent source of vitamin A.