Flavourful and fragrant quinoa is infused with our Rooibos Vanilla tea and then tossed in a tea-based dressing. Perfect as a warm side dish or as a cold salad.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
- 1 3/4 cups (425 mL) water
- 6 Rooibos Vanilla tea bags
- 1 cup (250 mL) quinoa
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) olive oil
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) honey
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grainy mustard
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground pepper
- 1 granny smith apple cored and finely chopped
- 1 rib celery finely chopped
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) crumbled goat cheese
- Pour the water into saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Add tea bags and remove from heat.
- Steep, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Squeeze the tea bags to release as much liquid as possible. Discard.
- Stir in quinoa and salt.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cook, covered for 15-18 minutes or until quinoa is tender and has absorbed all the liquid.
- Let it stand, covered for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk oil with vinegar, honey, mustard, and pepper in large bowl until combined.
- Stir in apple, celery, shallot, and parsley.
- Fluff quinoa with fork and toss with apple mixture.
- Stir in pecans and cranberries.
- Divide among 4 plates.
- Sprinkle with goat cheese.
- Serve warm or cold.
- Substitute crumbled feta cheese for goat cheese if desired.
Per serving: 440 calories, 23 g fat, 5 mg cholesterol, 277 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrates, 5.5 g fibre, 16 g sugar, 8 g protein.