Balanced with lemon, this classic home brewed iced tea is a refreshing favourite.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Total time: 4 hours
- 8 cups water
- 4 Orange Pekoe tea bags
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) granulated sugar
- Pinch of baking soda
- 2 lemons, sliced
- Ice cubes
- Pour the water into a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add the tea bags and remove from heat.
- Steep, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Squeeze the tea bags to release as much liquid as possible and discard.
- Stir in sugar and baking soda.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Refrigerate, covered, until well chilled or up to 3 days.
- Add lemon slices before serving over ice.
- Add mint leaves to the pitcher to add a beautiful and refreshing flavour.
- Filtered water will make the clearest iced tea.
- Adding baking soda to the tea removes any bitterness without needing to add lots of extra sugar.
Per serving: 62 calories, 0 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 43 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrates, 0 g fibre, 16.5 g sugars, 0 g protein